Monday, January 25, 2010

This will not end well

Over the course of the past couple weeks, I've picked up not one, but three nice vintage wool sweaters (none of which cost more than $3). This past weekend, I finally decided I should give them a good, cool sloshing about so I could actually add them to my wardrobe.

As I tossed them into the tub, I looked at their tags closer and was surprised to see how casually one sweater wanted me to treat, "the world's best virgin wool."


Machine wash and dry? Really?



Granted, Puritan isn't known for being a top-of-the-line brand, but I've never given a 100% wool sweater a machine wash and dry and not had it turn out looking something like a miniaturized version of its former self.

In one case, an old sweater of mine that received such sad treatment ended up being tied into a small, knotted ball and became a favorite toy of one of our dogs (living it's life being occasionally shaken in a frenzy and lovingly referred to as, "the sweater ball").

Giving shrunken wool sweaters to a small dog as a plaything probably isn't setting a good precedence, but neither is machine-washing wool, I say.

And for the record, aforementioned dog has never destroyed another sweater (although loveseat cushions are another matter).

No comments:

Post a Comment