Thursday, May 20, 2010

I want a minivan

Actually, strike that. I don't actually want a minivan. I want a 1936 Stout Scarab. Somehow, I'd entirely missed the boat on information about this drool-worthy automobile, but was pointed to this older article in the NY Times about it.

Seriously, look at the thing...

1936 Stout Scarab

It looks like some sort of insane cross between a B 17 Flying Fortress and an Airstream trailer, both of which were in their formative state at the time the Scarab was constructed. Sadly, only 15 of them were ever made, and only 5 of them have survived to this day.

At least there are quite a few photos of them to drool over until some auto company decides they want to bring back the Scarab in an electric-powered version. Get on it, Tesla Motors! I implore you!

Scarab

Scarab 2

Also! A video!



2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a car. I just love stuff from this era--thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has always been one of my favorite vehicles. I wish we saw design like this today.

    Regarding your comment about my madras post: I suggest checking out the Chaps line. Though not true patch madras, Chaps' quality and durability are unparalleled at $25-$35 price point.

    ReplyDelete