Friday, June 11, 2010

Vintage ties: The square-ends plus one

This is the fourth in the series of photographs of vintage ties in my collection. If you missed the first three installments, I've previously posted hand-painted, geometric and space age, and novelty prints.

This time out, I'm going to be featuring square-end ties from the collection that I think are unique. I have a few knits that are also square, but they're not quite as stand-out as the silk and wool numbers below.

red with black tear drops and white dots

I have an abundance of red ties and this one nearly kicks all their asses. Dazzling red with a sort of black and white teardrop embroidered pattern. Sharp.



red grey maroon stripe

Another tie with wicked reds, this one works with a ton of colors. Almost exactly the colors of The Ohio State University.



old kimono?

Okay, so this one isn't straight-up square, but close enough. My suspicions are that this tie is actually made out of a very old piece of fabric from the middle east due to the damask pattern, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's beautiful.



icy blue

I picked this tie up a couple months ago and have worn it a couple times since. Depending on the outfit, it works with either cool or warm weather. 100% cotton and silk. Shiny and crisp.



embroidered red

You would think I'd get sick of red ties, but you'd be wrong. Plus, this one has a strange little embroidered design on it that really draws your attention and makes you wonder just what the heck it is. Rorschach tie.



black blue wool stripe

This wool number just rocks with a blue oxford, as the thin stripes are almost the same exact color. More of a fall tie, this one feels perfect when the wind whips up and the leaves start turning.



grey green blue

The colors on this tie are some of the most beautifully understated of any tie in my entire collection. I just want to curl up in a blanket of the same color and hibernate.



embroidered

This is the plus one I mentioned above and it's just a true oddity. The silk tie is nothing to be excited about, but it's embroidered with two separate colors (including a gold metal thread) and just has something about it that I can't deny.

No comments:

Post a Comment