Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Spreading the Love: Style Share - November

When I first started this site, I figured it would be a good place for me to try out a completely different range of writing, as well as work on my photography skills a bit. As I mentioned way back in the beginning, I've been writing on multiple sites for quite some time (in one case, over a decade), but over the course of the past couple years I've found myself burnt out on what I was doing. I've been a long-time thrifter and collector of material culture, and along with my several-year burgeoning interest in men's style, it seemed like a natural fit.

Like anyone who runs a blog, I enjoy feedback and interaction with the audience that I do have. Having said the above, I'm going to try out a little experiment and hope that it turns into a regular feature on the site.

While I am not a rich man, thrifting and garage and estate sales have been good to me over the years, and it only seems fair that I spread some of the joy around. And so, each month I'm going to be giving away a couple things to readers of the site, completely free of charge.*

The only thing I ask is that the recipient of said item of clothing send back a photo of them wearing it for a follow-up post on this site. It doesn't have to be a Vogue-quality shot, and it doesn't have to show a face or any other distinguishing features. It only has to show off the item you've received in an ensemble that you put together.

My rough plan is to throw out 3-5 items each month that are available. The first two responses I get from readers in comments will the get the requested item (please don't put any contact information in there, as you can send me that through the email listed in my profile).

The remaining pieces will go back into the box until next month (or so). From there, I (and the rest of my small audience) will wait excitedly to see what said readers put together with their requested item. :)

Sound good?

Okay then. Let's start.

This month, I've got four different 100% silk ties from fairly venerable names, each with a rather distinct style.

Robert Talbott

Robert Talbott repp in emerald green, navy, and khaki



Liberty of London

Liberty of London paisley for Neiman Marcus



Gucci

Vintage (80s or so) Gucci black with anchor and rope motif



Burberry

Burberry's (80s or so) stripe in gold/green/purple/maroon with flower motif



I'll try to switch things up from month to month to keep things interesting, and it will all sort of depend on what I come across in my findings. Stay tuned and you too can take part in this little experiment.

*Seriously, it's free, and yours to keep forever. No strings attached. I won't share your name on the site or with anyone else unless you have a blog of your own that you want me to link. Please note that all clothing will be used (but certainly not stained, smelly, or damaged, as I do have standards), so please only agree to participate if this sort of thing doesn't gross you out. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. I normally don't comment on blogs but this was just too good of a chance to pass up! You have put together many interesting combinations and I have often worked off of your creations as inspiration for my own. Many thanks! The black Gucci tie with the whimsical rope motif would be just a splendid addition to my wardrobe. I'm thinking about pairing it with a ribbon belt and worn chinos. Keeping close to the nautical theme I guess. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through the Pendleton page on Facebook. I enjoy your posts and really like the concept of your Style Share. I will be sure to check back on a periodic basis. I do have to admit though your posts have made me re-think some of the nice Harris Tweeds I gave away in one of my purges due to a move. Thanks for all of the ideas/

    ReplyDelete