Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 in review

As I did last year, I've decided to devote an entire post to my favorite finds and posts from the past 12 months. Not only is it fun for me to go back and look at what I've written in that time, but for newer readers to the site, it serves as a good entry point to find what are hopefully some of the more interesting entries.

Favorite find (sport coat): This would probably be a tie between this vintage cotton velveteen sport coat (which can been seen a little better here or here) and a beautiful glen plaid sport coat that I never managed to get photos of. I will remedy that situation as soon as the weather cooperates.

Favorite find (sweater): Okay, so I won it in a contest, but this amazing Pendleton sweater (which is one-of-a-kind) made my day, and has gotten a lot of use. So. comfortable.

Favorite find (pants): It's taken colder temps, but I've been wearing the heck out of these great black and white wool herringbone trousers.

Herringbone pants and cap toe oxfords

Favorite find (shoes): Pretty much a bust year for finding anything decent in my size, and therefore my favorite pair also defaults to the vintage Johnston & Murphy captoe oxfords pictured above. They're made very well and I'd actually put them on a par with the Allen Edmonds that I've owned.

Favorite find (ties): I picked up a lot of interesting ties throughout the year (and gave some of them away), but the best single stop find of the year had to be this tie bonanza, which hooked me up with 5 Brooks Brothers and a bunch of other great stuff in one swoop.

the rest

Favorite find (accessories): Sure, they're nothing amazing, but these vintage cotton handkerchiefs have gotten tons of use since finding them.

Favorite find (furniture): This one is a no-brainer. My wife and I were looking for a couch, and serendipity called, placing this amazing vintage piece in front of us for just slighty more than a Benjamin.

new sofa

Favorite non-clothing-related post: Duh. Although, this post about my wife makes me smile every time I read it.

Favorite style-related post: In terms of photos and overall look, I feel like this wedding outfit and this brown, blue, and red combo were some of my best.

check and blue and brown

Most interesting string of events: Behold, the power of the internet! This post summarizes a trip that an article of clothing went on across the country.

Favorite series of posts: For the second year running, this one goes to Style Share. It's been a lot of fun so far, and I again thank everyone who has participated. A runner-up might be Yay or Nay which has gotten some great responses and inspired some fun discussion.

patch madras close up

Most commented-on post: This post about a crazy patchwork jacket was one of the aforementioned Yay or Nay posts, and it took on a life of it's own awhile after I posted it. After a bit of spirited discussion, everyone seemed to agree to disagree and it settled down.

As I mentioned the previous year, I'm certainly no style expert, and while their are certainly posts that could be deleted in order to save some face, I prefer to keep everything as a living document of the process. Along the way, I just try to have some fun, learn some things, and meet some nice people in the process. 2011 was no different and hopefully 2012 will be more of the same.

3 comments:

  1. i think so much written thoughts deserve a comment :)
    I really like your favorite tie collection and your furniture find. that is what I call a great piece!

    I also really dig your wedding outfit. that blue-beige-red combo is a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures, and striking trousers.
    Your blog, outfits and thoughts, are very interesting seen from France where style isn't the most common thing to find in everydays life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for recapping your posts once again. It's been nice to go back over each of them and reflect. There's not a kinder, more genuine blogger around. Best wishes to you and your family in the new year.

    ReplyDelete